Medical Definition of anosognosia
: an inability or refusal to recognize a defect or disorder that is clinically evident Mrs. M. 's form of anosognosia is even more extreme: she not only flatly denies she is paralyzed, she refuses to admit that the limp limb on the left has anything at all to do with her.— James Shreeve, Discover, May 1995 A prominent feature of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder is anosognosia, a sick person's unawareness that he is sick.— Algis Valiunas, New Atlantis, Winter 2009 — see anton's syndrome
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game