variants: also Anton syndrome
Medical Definition of Anton's syndrome
: a rare disorder in which blindness associated with damage to the cerebral cortex especially of the occipital lobes is accompanied by denial of visual loss by the patient Anton's syndrome is usually associated with bilateral cerebral infarcts in the distribution of the posterior cerebral arteries. — Kenneth M. Heilman, in Awareness of Deficit After Brain Injury …, 1991 Unawareness or denial of blindness in the Anton syndrome is coupled with confabulations. — Michael S. Myslobodsky and Leslie Hicks, in The Mythomanias …, 1997
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game