Medical Definition of annular ligament
: a ringlike ligament or band of fibrous tissue encircling a part:
a : any of the transverse bands holding in place the extensor and flexor tendons of the wrist and ankle
b : a strong band of fibers surrounding the head of the radius and retaining it in the radial notch of the ulna
— called also orbicular ligament
c : any of several strengthening bands of the tendon sheaths of the digits
d : a ring attaching the base of the stapes to the oval window
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game