Medical Definition of angiotensin II
: a protein with vasoconstrictive activity that increases blood pressure, stimulates the release of aldosterone, is composed of a chain of eight amino acid residues, and is the physiologically active form of angiotensin Angiotensin II can cause vasoconstriction, aldosterone biosynthesis, prostaglandin formation or angiogenesis.— Nicola Glorioso et al., Science, 26 Sept. l986 Captopril, the first approved member of this new class of antihypertensive agents, acts by inhibiting the conversion of angiotensin I to angiotensin II. — Scientific American Medicine, September 1982
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?