Medical Definition of aminocaproic acid
: a drug C6H13NO2 that inhibits the breakdown of fibrin by blocking the activation of plasminogen and is used to control bleeding (as during surgery) especially in cases where blood clots are broken down too quickly
Note: Aminocaproic acid is a chemical analog of lysine and is marketed under the trademark Amicar.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game