Medical Definition of althaea
1 capitalized : a genus of Old World herbs of the mallow family that have terminal spikelike clusters of showy flowers and include the hollyhock and marshmallow
2 or althea : the dried root of the marshmallow deprived of its brown corky layer and small roots and used as a demulcent and emollient
— called also marshmallow root
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game