Medical Definition of alpha state
: a state of wakeful relaxation that is associated with increased alpha wave activity When electroencephalograms show a brain wave pattern of 9 to 12 cycles per second, the subject is said to be in alpha state, usually described as relaxed, peaceful, or floating.— Gerald Walker, The New York Times, 2 Mar. 1975
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game