variants: also α-globin
Medical Definition of alpha globin
: the chain of hemoglobin that is designated alpha and that when deficient or defective causes a form of anemia known as alpha-thalassemia … an individual totally lacking the specific gene responsible for making an essential part of hemoglobin called the alpha globin chain. — The New York Times, 1 Nov. 1984 — compare beta globin
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game