Medical Definition of acetylator
: an organism that acetylates a substance during metabolism —used especially to describe the rate at which a person acetylates certain drugs (such as isoniazid, hydralazine, or sulfamethazine) in the body People known as slow acetylators, for instance, take a longer time than fast acetylators to clear certain drugs from the liver.— Robin Marantz Henig, The New York Times, 10 Oct. 2004
Note: The variation among acetylators has been shown to be genetically determined. Slow acetylators may experience undesirable side effects resulting from higher drug concentrations in the body.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game