Medical Definition of Pompe disease
— called also acid maltase deficiency
Note: Pompe disease has a severe infantile form appearing within the first months of life and typically causing death in the first year of life. It also has a late-onset form appearing in children or adults and having a slower progression that mainly affects skeletal muscle tissue. Pompe disease is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait requiring that both parents pass on a copy of the defective gene on a chromosome other than a sex chromosome.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game