Medical Definition of Kussmaul breathing
: abnormal deep, rapid, labored breathing that occurs as an involuntary response to severe acidosis (such as that associated with diabetes or kidney failure)
Note: Kussmaul breathing serves to give off large amounts of carbon dioxide which temporarily reduces acidosis but typically results in a deficiency of carbon dioxide in the blood.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game