variants: or H2 receptor antagonist also H2 blocker
Medical Definition of H2 antagonist
: a drug (as cimetidine, famotidine, nizatidine, or ranitidine) that reduces or inhibits the secretion of gastric acid by binding competitively with histamine to H2 receptors on cell membranes
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?