Glasgow Coma Scalenoun
Medical Definition of Glasgow Coma Scale
: a scale that is used to assess the severity of a brain injury, that consists of values from 3 to 15 obtained by summing the ratings assigned to three variables depending on whether and how the patient responds to certain standard stimuli by opening the eyes, giving a verbal response, and giving a motor response, and that for a low score (as 3 to 5) indicates a poor chance of recovery and for a high score (as 8 to 15) indicates a good chance of recovery
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game