Medical Definition of Glanzmann thrombasthenia
: a rare, hereditary blood disorder that is marked by excessive bleeding and bruising and is caused by a deficiency or dysfunction of receptors which are found on the surface of platelets and which mediate platelet aggregation and adhesion
Note: Glanzmann thrombasthenia is typically inherited as an autosomal recessive trait requiring that both parents pass on a copy of the defective gene on a chromosome other than a sex chromosome.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game