Medical Definition of Enterobacteriaceae
: a large family of gram-negative straight bacterial rods (order Enterobacteriales) that ferment glucose with the production of acid or acid and gas and that include the common coliform organisms and a number of serious pathogens of humans, lower animals, and plants — see eberthella, enterobacter, klebsiella, proteus, salmonella, serratia
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game