Medical Definition of Bunyaviridae
: a family of single-stranded RNA viruses that are spherical to pleomorphic in shape with projections of glycoprotein embedded in a surface bilayer of lipid, that are usually transmitted by the bite of an arthropod (as a mosquito) or in the bodily secretions of rodents, that infect vertebrates and arthropods, and that include the hantaviruses and the causative agents of Nairobi sheep disease, Rift Valley fever, sandfly fever, and some forms of encephalitis (as La Crosse encephalitis) and hemorrhagic fever — see phlebovirus
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game