variants: also Barlow disease
Medical Definition of Barlow's disease
: infantile scurvy Barlow's disease is another name for infantile scurvy or vitamin C deficiency, which was a well-recognized condition among bottle-fed infants, both in Europe and in the United States in the first half of the 20th century. — Alan Clemetson, letter in Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, 1 Jan. 2002
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game