Medical Definition of infantile scurvy
: acute scurvy during infancy caused by malnutrition
— called also Barlow's disease
Note: Infantile scurvy was first recognized in the U.S. during the late 1800s and was eventually attributed to the destruction of vitamin C in sterilized milk products.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?