Medical Definition of Arnold-Chiari malformation
: a congenital abnormality in which the lower surface of the cerebellum and the lower brain stem protrude into the spinal canal through the foramen magnum She was born with Arnold-Chiari malformation, a rare and random birth defect that occurs, according to one study, in about 8 of 100,000 people. A deformity of the base of the skull and spine, it can cause chronic pain and loss of balance.— Arthur Allen, The Washington Post, 23 Feb. 1997
Note: Arnold-Chiari malformation often occurs with spina bifida and hydrocephalus. It is classified as a type of Chiari malformation.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game