Legal Definition of surplus line
: of, relating to, or being insurance provided by a company not authorized to do business in the state except through a specially licensed broker
Note: Surplus line insurance can only be purchased if efforts to acquire suitable insurance from authorized companies are unsuccessful.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game