sub si·len·tio | \ ˌsəb-sə-ˈlen-chē-ˌō, -sī-; ˌsu̇b-sē-ˈlen-tē-ˌō\
Legal Definition of sub silentio
: under or in silence : without notice being taken or without making a particular point of the matter in question overruled sub silentio this court's holding in Collova — State v. Olsen, 498 N.W.2d 661 (1993)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game