Legal Definition of special interrogatory
: an interrogatory addressed to a jury seeking a determination of a specific issue or issues of ultimate fact for the purpose of testing the deliberations and conclusions of the jury for consistency with the general verdict or when the court requires the jury to return a special verdict
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game