sci·en·ter | \ sī-ˈen-tər\
Legal Definition of scienter
1 : knowledge of the nature of one's act or omission or of the nature of something in one's possession that is often a necessary element of an offense the scienter element constitutionally required for an obscenity statute — Wall Dist. v. Newport News, 323 S.E.2d 75 (1984) also : intent to engage in particular especially criminal conduct a few environmental statutes…do away altogether with the need to prove scienter…requiring no proof of criminal intent whatsoever — R. J. Kafin et al.
2 : a mental state in fraud (as securities fraud) that is characterized by an intent to deceive, manipulate, or defraud
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game