prior inconsistent statementnoun
Legal Definition of prior inconsistent statement
Note: If a prior inconsistent statement was made under oath subject to the penalties of perjury at a previous proceeding (as a deposition or grand jury hearing), the statement is not hearsay under Federal Rule of Evidence 801(d)(1) and may be offered to prove that what was asserted in the statement is true.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game