pe·remp·tion | \ pə-ˈremp-shən\
Legal Definition of peremption
in the civil law of Louisiana : the absolute extinguishment of a right that prevents the bringing of an action a claim barred by peremption also : the period of time after which such an extinguishment automatically occurs — compare prescription
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?