Legal Definition of new value
: something of value (as money, goods, services, credit, or release of previously transferred property) that is newly given
Note: A transfer by a debtor to a creditor that is intended as a contemporaneous exchange for new value and not as satisfaction for a preexisting debt may not be avoided by a trustee in bankruptcy as a voidable preference.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game