minimum contactsnoun plural
min·i·mum contacts | \ ˈmi-nə-məm-\
Legal Definition of minimum contacts
: the level of a nonresident defendant's connection with or activity in a state that is sufficient under due process to support the assertion of personal jurisdiction under a long-arm statute — see also doing business statute, fair play and substantial justice, International Shoe Co. v. Washington
Note: In most cases, minimum contacts are shown by continuous and purposeful contact with the state usually for business purposes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game