malum in senoun
mal·um in se | \ ˈma-ləm-in-ˈsē, ˈmä-lu̇m-in-ˈsā\
plural mala in se\ ˈma-lə-, ˈmä- \
Legal Definition of malum in se
: an offense that is evil or wrong from its own nature irrespective of statute —often used with a preceding noun (as crime or act) held that burglary was a crime malum in se — State v. Stiffler, 788 P.2d 2205 (1990) — compare malum prohibitum
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game