mal·um in se | \ ˈma-ləm-in-ˈsē, ˈmä-lu̇m-in-ˈsā\
plural mala in se\ ˈma-lə-, ˈmä- \
Legal Definition of malum in se
: an offense that is evil or wrong from its own nature irrespective of statute —often used with a preceding noun (as crime or act)held that burglary was a crime malum in se — State v. Stiffler, 788 P.2d 2205 (1990) — compare malum prohibitum
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game