in pari materiaadverb
in pari ma·te·ria | \ -mə-ˈtir-ē-ə, -mä-\
Legal Definition of in pari materia
: on the same subject or matter : in a similar case
Note: It is a doctrine in statutory construction that statutes that are in pari materia must be construed together.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game