hy·poth·e·cary | \ hi-ˈpä-thə-ˌker-ē, hī-\
Legal Definition of hypothecary
in the civil law of Louisiana : of or relating to an obligation, right, or security in property of a debtor given to a creditor by contract or by operation of law without transfer of possession or title to the creditor
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game