func·tus of·fi·cio | \ ˈfəŋk-təs-ə-ˈfi-shē-ō, ˈfu̇ŋk-tu̇s-ȯ-ˈfē-kē-ō\
Legal Definition of functus officio
: of no further official authority or legal effect the warrant… had been returned and was functus officio — Cady v. Dombrowski, 413 U.S. 433 (1973) once an arbitrator makes an award she is functus officio —used especially of an officer who is no longer in office or of an instrument that has fulfilled its purpose
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?