fil·i·ate | \ ˈfi-lē-ˌāt\
Legal Definition of filiate
: to declare (a child) the descendant of a particular parent and especially a father has not been filiated by the initiative of the parent — Louisiana Civil Code — compare acknowledge sense 2b, legitimate
Note: A child may be illegitimate but filiated. Both legitimation and acknowledgment filiate an illegitimate child. Adopted children are filiated by the adoption proceeding.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?