federal common lawnoun
Legal Definition of federal common law
Note: Federal common law is applied primarily in admiralty and maritime cases, disputes between states, matters of international relations, and in cases regarding the proprietary interests of the U.S. Federal common law is used when federal statutory law does not completely address an issue or problem.
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game