Federal Communications Commission(FCC)Agency
Legal Definition of Federal Communications Commission
independent agency charged with regulating all interstate and foreign communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable. FCC standards and regulations apply only to the technical aspects of communication systems (such as frequency and equipment), not broadcast content (although it does have rules covering obscenity and slander). It allocates frequencies; licenses stations and operators; regulates common carrier telephone, cable, and satellite systems; oversees wireless systems, including cellular phones, pagers, and mobile radios; promotes the use of communications technology for ensuring the safety of life and property; and participates in the national defense. The five-person commission is appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate.
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game