Legal Definition of excited utterance
: a statement that concerns a startling event (as a physical assault) and that is made by a person while under stress caused by the event — see also res gestae, spontaneous declaration at declaration — compare dying declaration at declaration
Note: Excited utterances are an exception to the hearsay rule even if the declarant is unavailable as a witness.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game