Legal Definition of clearly erroneous
: being or containing a finding of fact that is not supported by substantial or competent evidence or by reasonable inferences findings of fact…must not be set aside unless clearly erroneous — Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Rule 52(a) — compare abuse of discretion, de novo
Note: The requirement that findings be clearly erroneous to be set aside is a standard of review used especially by an appellate court when reviewing a trial judge's (as opposed to a jury's) findings of fact for error.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game