Legal Definition of capital expenditure
: an amount paid out that creates a long-term benefit (as one lasting beyond the taxable year) especially : costs that are incurred in the acquisition or improvement of property (as capital assets) or that are otherwise chargeable to a capital account
Note: Capital expenditures are not deductible for income tax purposes. They are generally added to the property's basis.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game