Social Security Administration(SSA)Agency
Legal Definition of Social Security Administration
independent agency charged with administering the national program of contributory social insurance. Under the program, employees, employers, and the self-employed pay contributions that are pooled in special trust funds. When earnings stop or are reduced because the worker retires, dies, or becomes disabled, monthly cash benefits are paid to replace part of the earnings the family has lost. Principal benefits programs include hospital insurance programs, retirement and disability insurance programs, and Supplemental Security Income insurance programs for the aged, blind, and disabled.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?