Office of Special Counsel(OSC)Agency
Legal Definition of Office of Special Counsel
independent investigative and prosecutorial agency within the executive branch charged with protecting federal employees from prohibited personnel practices, especially reprisal for whistleblowing. OSC investigates allegations of activities prohibited by civil service laws, rules, and regulations; provides a secure channel through which information regarding possible violations, mismanagement, waste of funds, abuse of authority, or dangers to public health may be reported without fear of retaliation and without disclosure of identity; and litigates matters before the Merit Systems Protection Board (q.v.) and/or takes corrective or disciplinary measures as appropriate.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?