National Environmental Policy Act(NEPA)Law
42 U.S.C. § 4321 et seq. | (1969)
Legal Definition of National Environmental Policy Act
established a national Council on Environmental Quality to oversee government activities that could affect the environment and required federal agencies to file environmental impact statements before taking any major action. The law was intended to help “maintain conditions under which man and nature can exist in productive harmony” and, as such, has been labeled by the courts an “environmental full disclosure law.” It has often been left to the courts to rule on the accuracy of impact statements that have been contested by environmental or neighborhood groups.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game