Higher Education ActLaw
20 U.S.C. § 1001 et seq. | (1965)
Legal Definition of Higher Education Act
provided needs-based scholarships and loans for undergraduates and authorized a National Teachers Corps. Citing “the appalling frequency with which a student is presently forced to forgo the opportunity of [higher] education because of inability to meet the costs,” a Democratic Congress passed the bill as part of President Lyndon B. Johnson's Great Society Program. The Act signaled a transition from institutional assistance to individual student aid.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game