Central Intelligence Agency(CIA)Agency
Legal Definition of Central Intelligence Agency
independent government agency in the executive branch charged with carrying out intelligence and counterintelligence operations in support of national security. The CIA reports to the director of national intelligence on intelligence and counterintelligence needs; collects, evaluates, and disseminates intelligence and foreign counterintelligence data; conducts counterintelligence operations outside the United States; and conducts special activities approved by the president. Clandestine activities are carried on under various guises—including the diplomatic cover used by virtually every intelligence service, as well as such fronts as corporations that the CIA creates or acquires.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game