zoom outphrasal verb
zoomed out; zooming out; zooms out
Definition of zoom out
: (of a person) to adjust the lens of a camera or (of a camera) to adjust its lens so that the image seems to be smaller and farther away The photographer zoomed out to get the widest possible view of the scene. The camera zoomed out to show a wider view of the scene.
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game