zoom inphrasal verb
zoomed in; zooming in; zooms in
Definition of zoom in
: (of a person) to adjust the lens of a camera or (of a camera) to adjust its lens so that the image seems to be bigger and closer —often + on I zoomed in on her face to show her reaction.The TV cameras zoomed in on the winner's face. —often used figuratively We're trying to zoom in on the cause of these problems before they get worse.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game