zo·e·trope | \ ˈzōē‧ˌtrōp \
variants: or less commonly zootrope \ ˈzōə‧- \
Definition of zoetrope
: an optical toy in which figures on the inside of a revolving cylinder are viewed through slits in its circumference and appear like a single animated figure
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game