yayoiadjective, often capitalized
ya·yoi | \ (ˈ)yä¦yȯi\
Definition of yayoi
: of, relating to, or being typical of a Japanese cultural period extending from about 200 b.c. to a.d. 200, being generally neolithic but including the beginning of work in metal, and characterized especially by unglazed wheel-thrown pottery sometimes with incised surface ornamentation and often of florid shape
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game