variants: or witch elm \ ˈwiˌchelm , -eu̇m , ⸗ˈ⸗ \ or less commonly wych hazel \ ˈwichˌhāzəl , ˈwiˌchā- , ⸗ˈ⸗⸗ \
Definition of wych elm
1 : a Eurasian elm (Ulmus glabra) that is common in England, Scotland, and Ireland and has shorter leafstalks but larger fruit than English elm
2 : the wood of the wych elm
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game