worm out ofphrasal verb
wormed out of; worming out of; worms out of
Definition of worm out of
1 : to get (information) from (someone) by asking many questions, by using clever methods of persuasion, etc. She finally wormed the truth out of him.
2 : to avoid doing (something) in usually a clever or dishonest way He always managed to worm his way out of doing the dishes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game