Definition of wood dove
3 : any of a genus (Turtur) of small, grayish-brown African doves noted for their long, soft cooing songs … spent three idyllic days there earlier this year, waking each morning to the echo of wood doves and looking down into the deep valley below in the hope of seeing a leopard slipping through the euphorbias. — Brian Jackman, Daily Telegraph (London), 6 Nov. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game