Definition of wonky
(Entry 1 of 2)
: characteristic of, relating to, or suggestive of a wonk: such as
a : preoccupied with arcane details or procedures in a specialized field She can get wonky about the economy when she wants to, but what sets her apart is her ability to tell a coherent, populist story about it in a way that other members of her party are either unwilling or unable to do.— Rebecca Traister
b : used by or appealing to wonks … one of those politicians who actually find pleasure in the often-wonky details of public policy.— John Powers
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game